Monday, January 14, 2013

Being a girl...

I came across an interesting blog post while I was casually and aimlessly browsing the net to kill some time.

The author is a lady as obvious from the article name (My Experiences as a Female Software Engineer) and being a female in the same field, I can strongly relate to what she had written.

The site in which the blog was posted gave almost no information about this lady, Jean Hsu, and I did a bit of Googling out of curiosity. It was a bit tricky since the name seems to be a common Asian name with 25 professionals in that name been listed on LinkedIn alone.

Anyway managed to find that she is someone all lady software engineers can be proud of :)
Jean Hsu co-leads Android development at Pulse and has helped to grow the Android userbase from a quarter million users to over 2.5 million. Before she entered the startup world, she worked at Google on P2P payment experiments. Jean holds a Bachelor’s of Engineering in Computer Science from Princeton University.

Her blog post an eye opener, so it wasn't only me who was feeling this way.
"Something that frustrates me about the field of computer science is that there are a lot of jerks who think that just because they’ve “mastered” some programming language or know some obscure unix commands, they are gods and you are nothing."
"One of the challenges for me while I was at Google was to speak up when I didn’t understand something, as I often assumed it was common technical knowledge and that people would pass judgment."

Read it here..
http://www.jeanhsu.com/2011/01/17/my-experiences-as-a-female-software-engineer/


No comments:

Post a Comment